Thursday, May 8, 2008

Understanding A Clockwork Orange
I started reading A Clockwork Orange this week starting on Monday. I began to read and realized that I was going to need help understanding some of the very strange and unusual language that I was completely unfamiliar with. I gave up for an hour or so because I could not focus on what the characters were saying and still be able to understand what was going on. I decided that I would look up the chapter summary online from Sparknotes.com and read that first and then read the chapter. After doing this I was able to understand the chapter that I was focusing on better and have successfully completed part one out of three sections. Although I am still having difficulty with the language I have been able to read and understand all of the book so far. I have also been making notes on where I find quotes that I think might be good for my paper. I had completed a thrid of the book already when I was informed that there are nadsat dictionaries that will further define the terms used in A Clockwork Orange. I plan on printing these out and using them as I continue to read.

No comments: