Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dystopian Novel Study

A few days ago I began a study of Dystopian Novels. The novels that I have chosen to study are 1984 by George Orwell, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. My first thoughts after choosing this topic for my final senior english project is "How am I going to incorporate all this and tie it all together?", "How will I be able to demonstrate how these novels are dystopias if most programs will tell you that the word 'dystopia' is not even a word?" SO it came to me. The first thing that I would need is to give the reader a good background on exactly what a dystopia is. I would have to explain the characteristics and how a dystopia is created. Then I would be able to use the books that I am reading and the movie that I am watching in order to give examples of what a dystopia is. I would have to make my readers understand through my examples.

I have already begun reading one book, Brave New World. I have already finished reading 1984, as that was one of our previous required reading novels. So far I have noticed a great deal of similarities between the two and I am only on chapter 3 of Brave New World.

No comments: